19. Boilers

    The boilers are situated in the basement and are gas fired. Constant hot water is Supplied throughout the year and heating is supplied between 1 October and 1 May as stipulated by the lease. It is occasionally necessary to carry out emergency repairs to the system in which case notice will be given to residents where possible. Disruptions are kept to a minimum but we have no control over the supply of gas or water to the boilers.
    Repairs to radiators should be carried out between May and September when the heating is off as draining down deprives other residents of heating. Please see notes on plumbing liabilities (item 23).
    If you have any problems with radiators please contact the on-site plumber. (See item 26) Repair costs for radiators and associated pipe work are the responsibility of the lessee.
    A book is held at the main reception desk to report any problems/faults for the inhouse plumber, you will be required to provide details and a contact name and number. (See item 26)

17. Lifts

  1. LIFTS
    Attached is a plan showing where lifts are situated and the lift number they are known by. Lift number 10 is the service lift. If you experience a fault, please advise the porters immediately. Should a lift stop between floors or fail whilst you are in it, press the Emergency Call Button on the panel, which will ring in the porters’ area. Immediate steps will be taken to release you,
    The lifts are for the benefit of everyone and graffiti in them can cause offence and distress. Removal of graffiti costs money, which is paid by the service charge. Anyone found defacing the lift cars would be charged for the complete removal of all graffiti.
    Lifts 1, 2, 3, 8 and 9 are shut down each evening at around 11 pm and reopened at around 5.30 am. No furniture or items other than people and small hand luggage are to be transported in the lifts as this causes damage to the lifts and we are billed for mis-use under our maintenance contract for the lifts.

Download the full Du Cane Court Guide for owners and tenants October 2015

14. Parking & Bicycle storage

    Application forms for parking permits are available from the main reception desk. Please be advised that is no automatic right to park. The freeholders have agreed to allow residents parking subject to the conditions set out below and also on the car disc application forms:
    Du Cane Court is easy prey for car drivers looking for free parking in this area and to ensure that illegal parking does not take place, car-parking discs are issued to leaseholders who have a car. Clamping is also undertaken and the management accepts no liability for any vehicles clamped/ticketed. In the case of a dispute due to any clamping/ticketing this must be dealt with directly with the Company and not the managing agents.
    Cars parked in Du Cane Court not displaying a current permit will be ticketed/ clamped.
    To obtain a disc please contact the Reception Desk. You will need to demonstrate that the vehicle is taxed, insured and roadworthy and that you are a legitimate resident of Du Cane Court. Only one disc can be issued per flat. If you are a tenant and your landlord has failed to obtain a licence to sub-let in accordance with the lease we will not
    be able to Supply you with a parking permit,
    Parking for cars is available in the front courtyards A/B/C and C/D/E and the rear of the building. Parking bays and garages can be rented via the Estate Office. NO

Parking for motorcycles is available around the estate. Please contact the Estate Office with details of your motorcycle and for information about where to park. Do not park on any footpath or anywhere that causes an obstruction. Do not ride your motorcycle through either of the rear courtyards when the gates are closed.
There is no visitors parking, you are able to obtain a day permit for visitors from Wandsworth Council or Balham Library.
You can also obtain a Wandsworth Residents Parking Permit, which allows you to park in the surrounding streets. Details can be obtained from the Council on (020) 887 6000,
If you have a bicycle, we have internal storage areas available at a small charge. Free external bicycle rings are available in the inner courtyard of D,F, G & H. Should you wish to store your bicycle within an enclosed area please obtain a form from reception. ANY BICYCLES FOUND IN ANY OTHER AREATHAN THE

Download the full Du Cane Court Guide for owners and tenants October 2015

10. Window dressing and laundry

    All flats must have be properly curtained in the style appropriate to a private residence.
    Please refrain from hanging shoes or laundry out of windows and displaying laundry items hanging visible in windows. This is a condition within your lease.
    Residents are responsible for the cleaning of their own windows, the common parts windows are undertaken by a contractor through the service charge.
    If you wish details of a local window cleaner these are available from the main reception desk.

Download the full Du Cane Court Guide for owners and tenants October 2015

8. Carpeting and wooden floors

    It is a condition of your lease that floors must be carpeted with an underlay in all rooms with the exception of the kitchen and bathroom to minimise noise and disturbance. Wooden flooring is not allowed under the terms of the lease for Du Cane Court. Flats found to have this flooring will be asked to rectify this as breach of lease and it can also affect the sale of your property.

Download the full Du Cane Court Guide for owners and tenants October 2015

7. Nuisance and noise

    a) It is important to remember the need for co-operation with other residents. For this reason leases impose various restrictions. The most common form of nuisance is noise, and residents are asked to ensure that the level of any noise caused by them is not audible outside the flat. It should be borne in mind that sound carries through the building more easily at night and in hot weather when windows are
    o Always ensure that the level of any noise is not audible outside your flat.
    o It is a condition of the lease that floors must be carpeted with underlay in all
    rooms except the kitchen and bathroom to minimise noise disturbance.
    o Please be aware that door slamming and heaving thuds on your floor and the
    moving of furniture around your flat can also cause a disturbance,
    o Avoid noisy housework like vacuuming late at night or early in the morning.
    o Please refrain late at night from standing outside other resident’s windows or within the corridors chatting with friends or talking on your mobiles as this can cause a disturbance to other residents.
    o Please be aware if undertaking any DIY works to your flat that in order to minimise the disturbance to other residents that the works must be carried out between 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday and Saturday 8.30 – 1pm on Saturday. Sunday & Bank Holiday work is not permitted. Please also ensure that you have read the section on repair works within flats in conjuction with this.

Please ensure that if you are undertaking works of a noisy nature that you notify your surrounding neighbours including above & below in advance of such works (at least 24hrs) and approximate length of time these will take. Refurbishment works or works involving replacing kitchers and bathroom we ask that you speak to Estate Office staff prior to undertaking these to ensure that you are compliant with the lease as a Licence to Alter may be required in accordance with the lease dependant on the works being undertaken and also to ensure that due to the nature of noisy works distribution of letters to flats within the area of works is correctly carried out.
o Always ensure that any complaints received from your neighbours and/or in house staff in respect of noise are respected and that you rectify the cause of complaint immediately.
e No mechanical instrument, television, radio or other noise making instrument of any kind shall be played or used in the demised premises between the hours of 11pm and 8am and nor at any time so as to cause any nuisance or annoyance to any of the residents in the building and the decision of the Managing Agents as to what constitutes a nuisance or annoyance shall be final and binding on the parties.
The suggested course of action in the event of noise nuisance is for the resident, to ring the main reception desk immediately at the time of the disturbance on 0208673 8592 and staff will approach the offender on your behalf.
Please ensure that any formal complaint is made in writing to the Estate Office and every attempt will be made on your behalf to stop the nuisance.
For persistent noise offences such as loud music, despite intervention by reception staff and office staff should this persist then we advise that you ring Wandsworth Council Environmental Services on 0208871 7869 and if you leave a message and contact number (this is for staff protection) then they will call you back to assist with your problem. The Officers do have the power to remove noise making equipment and enforce orders against offenders. The calls are logged and if further action is to be taken this will be necessary as a log of events.

Download the full Du Cane Court Guide for owners and tenants October 2015

6. Building insurance

    a) The building insurance has twelve months’ cover renewable on 24 June each year. (Please see the section on making a claim for the policy excess payable)
    b) The policy covers the fabric of the building, including walls, floors (uncarpeted), and ceilings. In addition the policy covers fixtures and fittings, which are considered to be permanent. For example, fitted wardrobes and kitchen units (but no appliances), toilets, sinks, baths, doors. Please be advised that if you require to make a claim on the policy that the excess is £1000.
    This information may be used to determine whether you have adequate contents insurance which should cover, apart from your personal effects, carpets and curtains, movable items of furniture and kitchen appliances Such as Washing machines, refrigerators, cookers, etc. In addition it is necessary for all lessees to have contents insurance, in case they cause damage to other flats. (See additional insurance notes at Section 24.) In the event of a claim you may be required to pay the policy excess.
    In order to reduce the number of insurance claims there are some simple steps that residents can take.
    o Ensure that you check your stop tap annually (if you do not know where this is please contact the in-house plumber via the main reception desk, see item 26)
    o Check taps are turned off when you leave your home o Do not leave plugs in basins, baths and sinks when you go away check those connections to washing machines and dishwashers regularly as these can become loose
    o Make sure that if you are going away a key is left with main reception and that
    you leave emergency contact details with the Estate Office.
    o Do not leave running taps unattended
    o Ensure bath and shower Sealants are in good order and effective shower Screens
    or curtains are installed

    Download the full Du Cane Court Guide for owners and tenants October 2015

5. Repairs to flats and alteration works

Du Cane Court
    a) Lessees are responsible for general internal repairs within their flats. All sanitary fittings, washing machines and dishwashers, with the associated pipe work, must be maintained in good condition and kept free from obstruction. In addition, most flats have an isolation valve for the water supply and this should be maintained in working condition. (If you do not know where your stopcocks are situated please contact the Inhouse plumber to assist you. The in-house plumber has a book held at reception, please contact or visit reception and your details will be entered into his book to enable him to contact you. Please note that the in-house plumber works Monday to Friday)
    Compliance with this will have three consequences. First, water escape will be prevented and thus there will be no damage, inconvenience or annoyance to neighbours living below. Secondly, the fabric of the building will not be damaged. Thirdly, the building insurance premium will be kept to a minimum through fewer claims and this will be reflected within the yearly service charge budget.
    b) Simple maintenance work, such as defective washers, minor blockages in the plumbing system etc, can be dealt with by the on-site by the plumber or the handyman. Please inform the porters of any problems & see the guidelines attached item 26. For using the in-house plumber.
    c) Should any lessee need to employ the services of a plumber for alterations or repairs and a shut down or draining down is required; the On-site plumber must be consulted. Please contact the Estate Office to make arrangements. All costs are the lessee’s responsibility. Please see item 26 procedures for using the in-house plumber and how to request this service.
    d) Electric Meters and Main Fuses. Full schedules as to location of those for each flat
    are held on the main reception desk. Please speak to the porters.
    Please be aware if undertaking any DIY works to your flat that in order to minimise the disturbance to other resident’s works must be carried out between 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday and Saturday 8.30 – 1pm on Saturday. Sunday & Bank Holiday work is not permitted. Contractor parking within the grounds closes at 5pm MondayFriday & 1pm on Saturday, so please ensure that they complete works within this time in order to leave site before the parking within this courtyard is closed.
    Please ensure that if you are undertaking works of a noisy nature you notify your surrounding neighbours including above & below in advance of such works and approximate length of time these will take, this allows neighbours who are home or shift workers to be able to pian accordingly.
    If you are undertaking refurbishment works please the Estate Office prior to undertaking works so we can advise you of the correct procedures to follow and in some instances in accordance with the lease you may require a Licence before undertaking the works. We also have a guidance leaflet for refurbishment works within flats that are not affecting the layout of the property but are to refurbish the bathroom and kitchen which contains important information and is available upon request.
    It is important for leaseholders to be aware that access is available to the service duct/main stack within your property and ensure that you do not make this inaccessible by tiling over. This provides access to valves, all main services, rooding eye and in some flats you may find that you share these services with your neighbouring flats. If an emergency such as a leak were to occur and we needed to access the duct/main stack which may either be located in your kitchen or bathroom area then we would have to break away the tiling and put in an access hatch and you could be liable for the costs involved in this if you have covered over the access area.
    If you are employing a contractor to undertake any works to your flat please in addition observe the conditions relating to the contractors guidelines on site – please see section 22 attached. Please also ensure that you speak with Estate Office staff.

Download the full Du Cane Court Guide for owners and tenants October 2015

4. Key permission slips/External keys

Du Cane Court
    a) Key Permission slips In the interest of security porters will not release keys to a third party unless the resident occupant has completed a key permission slip request, which are obtainable from the main reception desk. Please note that you must specify the dates and names of the person able to receive the keys, should you have any queries please speak with either the Estate Office staff or reception staff.
    Key permission slips can only be valid for 1 month at a time but only if you specify this and must be renewed after this time.
    Non-resident leaseholders wishing to give access permission can contact the Estate Office by fax to provide the relevant permission or by email.
    b) External Keys Keys to the external doors are security cut keys and can only be purchased from the office at a cost of £7.50 however before we can issue this we must have full confirmation that you are a resident and if you are a tenant sub-letting your landlord must have completed the necessary documentation to sub-let in order for you to obtain a key. Night staff will challenge any persons entering the building without keys please be advised that this is for your safety and security.

Download the full Du Cane Court Guide for owners and tenants October 2015

3. Accounting procedures & service charge

du cane court outside

a) All accounting matters for Du Cane Court are dealt with by the Brighton Office; however2. SELLING, SUB-LETTING OR BUILDING ALTERATIONS Your lease requires that written permission must be obtained from the freeholder (via their agent) Allsop Residential Investment Management in a number of situations. These include:
a) When the lessee has a purchaser for their flat
b) When the lessee intends to carry out alterations within a flat
c) When the lessee wishes to sub-let their flat.
d) Window replacement installation.
In all cases correspondence should be directed to the Estate Office who will then advise on the procedure to be followed.
any query in the first instance should be raised with the Estate Office who will assist you. Collections Team Tel: 0300 303 1527.
b) Demands for Service charge and ground rent will be dispatched to leaseholders in June and December each year. They should be settled within 14 days of the demand due date. Balancing demands are issued by the latest in July of each year with the previous year end accounts. Your service charge contribution is based on the percentage payable as per the lease for your individual property. Leases on a quarterly charge as defined by their lease will be issued in March, June, September & December.
c) Payments can be sent direct to Allsop Letting and Management’s Leeds office or handed in person to staff within the Estate Office. Receipts are not normally issued for cheques except upon request, a SAE is required if sending to Leeds but receipts can be provided within the Estate Office without an SAE for residents living in the building.
d) The freeholder’s policy on rent collection is attached to these Guidelines.
e) If you have a query concerning your demand, accounting procedures, or payment Please contact Ms Morton within the Estate Office as soon as possible and she will do all she can to assist you with your enquiry.

Download the full Du Cane Court Guide for owners and tenants October 2015